Announcing the Oranjezicht City Farm
An exciting project is about to take root in our community, and we are asking you to come out, learn more and help it flourish!
The new Oranjezicht City Farm will soon be turning the sod next to the corner of Sidmouth Avenue and Upper Orange Road, Oranjezicht, adjacent to Homestead Park (which is opposite Carlucci’s). A beautiful, educational, fun and delicious first harvest will follow by year’s end, to be enjoyed by all.
This non-profit project celebrates local food, culture and community, and seeks to cultivate a community of adults and younger folk working together to engage in small-scale food production in the City Bowl.
The project aims to:
• Serve as an educational resource on small scale organic food production for City Bowl area residents
• Increase access to nutritious fresh vegetables for the community
• Increase the number of organic gardeners in the City Bowl, leading to more outdoor activities and healthier lifestyles
• Build capacity and skills of youth and adults seeking work in urban food production
• Promote connections and foster relationships between and among individuals, garden communities, and NGO’s
• Improve unused or under-utilised public green space in the City Bowl, preserving and protecting undeveloped land.
While the Oranjezicht City Farm enjoys the support of the City of Cape Town, the Oranjezicht Heritage Society, CIBRA, and OH Watch, among others, it needs your support as well.
You are invited to meet the small group of your neighbours who have been busy bringing this project to life, and to learn how you can get involved, as well as how the Oranjezicht City Farm will make Oranjezicht and Higgovale healthier, more beautiful, friendlier, and an even better place to live, work, and raise a family.
WHAT: Oranjezicht City Farm Information Session and Discussion
WHEN: Sunday, 22 July 2012, 17h00 – 18h00
WHERE: Homestead Park (Corner of Sidmouth Avenue and Upper Orange Road), in the Old Barn
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring a friend, a neighbour!
We hope to see you there on Sunday afternoon!