IT’S OUR NEIGHBOURHOOD, SO LET’S KEEP IT SAFE!
We live in a beautiful neighbourhood. As residents, we have a duty to keep our area safe, so that we can enjoy the tree-lined streets and parks more fully. That is why a group of dedicated residents established OH Watch in 2008 - a community driven platform that ensures effective and quick response to criminal activity and ensures that members of the community are empowered with information via well developed communication channels.
The result is the Oranjezicht Higgovale Neighbourhood Watch (OH WATCH) in partnership with the South African Police Services (SAPS) and the Cape Town Community Police Forum (CPF).
To ensure effective management and excellent results we have divided the area into 6 smaller blocks (sectors). Each block has its own block leader and we work together to enhance OH WATCH. Just click here or on OH MAP above to see which block you fall under.
If you are unsure please e-mail us, firstname.lastname@example.org
We achieve our objectives through the following five mechanisms:
- Community neighbourhood patrols/walks/cycles
- Continual development of our existing 2-way radio network – this ensures direct communication between the community, SAPS, armed response companies etc.
- A system of logging suspicious activity (cars and people)
- Collecting information on criminal activity that enables analysis. As a result we can ensure targeted action and tracking of incidents by SAPS.
- A License Plate Recognition (LPR) camera system that alerts patrollers to suspicious vehicle entering our area
OH WATCH needs every member of the community to be involved – there are no criteria and we can all do our bit. So if you are a home owner, tenant, dog walker, retiree, worker, mother or work from home; we would genuinely welcome your involvement. Don’t leave your safety and that of your family up to someone else.
We are here to be the EYES and EARS of the police! We are not taking over the work that they do but we recognise that we can do an immense amount to ensure that SAPS use their resources to maximum efficiency. Please go to the membership page and sign up so we can watch out for each other. You can make a huge difference!